Join us for an evening of fun and fundraising--and honor Jay Jorgensen and Rick Phillips as Hidden Heroes of Conservation—at LRWP’s 5th annual Frogapalooza fundraiser on Friday, October 24 at the Fort Wayne Country Club. The event is presented by Brooks Construction.
Sip a glass of wine, chat with your friends, and plan your bidding on auction items from exclusive getaways to kayaking nature trips and theater packages (see auction list below). Then dine on a delicious dinner before learning how our two honorees have significantly helped the restoration and conservation of natural lands in Indiana. Carol Brooks will present Jay and Rick.
Tickets to Frogapalooza are $100 each, $800 for a table of eight, or $1,000 for a table of ten. Dress is business casual. Call 260-478-2515 for more information or to buy tickets by credit card (no American Express, please). Or mail your check to LRWP, 7209 Engle Road, Ste. 200, Fort Wayne IN 46804.
All funds raised help LRWP to care for its wetland nature preserves and offer its free nature programs to thousands of children and adults every year.
See you there!
# 1 Escape to Big Sky, Montana where mountains and wilderness meet. Your week-long stay will take place in a beautiful five-bedroom, five-and-one-half-bath home (with office/den that can be used as a sixth bedroom) in the spectacular mountains of Big Sky. Near Bozeman and less than an hour from Yellowstone National Park, this is a perfect setting for skiing, mountain golf, whitewater rafting, spectacular hiking, world-class fly fishing, and more. You’ll have access to amenities of the private Spanish Peaks Mountain Club, including Big Sky Resort’s “Biggest Skiing in America” and an 18-hole Tom Weiskopf championship golf course. After each fabulous day outdoors, relax in the home’s sauna, steam shower, or spa hot tub. Donated by Larry and Carol Adelman
# 2 Your own classically trained chef? Magnifique! Noted local chef Christian Frappier will select food and wine for a special dinner planned with your tastes in mind. Then you’ll watch Christian work his magic right in your kitchen, treating you and seven guests to a multi-course extravaganza of fine cuisine. Dinner preparation donated by Christian Frappier, $400 for food and wine by Sturges Development Group
# 3 Visit a home where the buffalo roam. Enjoy a unique outdoor experience at the home of John and Carol Brooks, whose beautiful property near Roanoke flanks the Little River. Your party of eight will want to tour the native tall-grass prairie, old-growth woods and other protected areas where elk and buffalo roam. Then enjoy a lesson in skeet-shooting or fly-fishing (your choice) before savoring a casual dinner with John and Carol. Donated by John and Carol Brooks
# 4 Cosmopolitan, international Toronto beckons. This beautiful and exciting city will spread out before you for your week-long stay in a luxurious two-bedroom, two-bath condo at the top of the SOHO Metropolitan Hotel in downtown Toronto. Take in the theaters, entertainment district and all downtown sights, then park in your own space and explore the hotel’s many amenities, including three world-class restaurants. Donated by Jerry and Diane Mackel
# 5 Who-o-o’s that? Party with owls, frogs, and other creatures of the night. Experience the sights and sounds of Eagle Marsh at night, starting with sunset over the marsh and a casual cookout around an open fire for up to 16 guests. Then enjoy folk tales or scary stories, an owl prowl with an expert naturalist who can tell you whose eyes are shining out of the darkness or a fun tutorial on which frog is serenading you now. This unique evening will take place underneath more stars than you’ve ever seen. Donated by Little River Wetlands Project
# 6 The ultimate Michigan fishing weekend. Escape with a friend or two to a log cabin deep in the Michigan woods for exceptional salmon and trout fishing with Jay Jorgensen, expert fisherman, as your host and guide. Your two-night, three-day stay at this rustic cabin near Ludington includes meals, fishing equipment, and a choice of exciting fishing options. Donated by Jay and Jane Jorgensen
1. When is a puzzle more than a puzzle? When it’s a Liberty jigsaw puzzle, like this puzzle of a frog—in the shape of a frog! Liberty puzzles are works of sculpture in wood--each features dozens of intricate, charming whimsy pieces laser-cut to the puzzle design, with no two pieces alike. For the true jigsaw puzzler, this is a collector’s item. Donated by Marc and Dana Kaminsky
2. Dinosaurs up close and personal. Go face to face with prehistory in this incredible look at the teeth and bones of dinosaurs, mastodons, saber-toothed tigers, and more in this two-hour, hands-on visit for four with Dr. Larry Wiedman and his personal paleontology collection at the University of Saint Francis. Touch dinosaur dung, trilobites over 400 million years old, and lots of other fossils you’d usually only see in a museum--and hear how all these items were found. For adults and children aged seven or older. Donated by Larry Wiedman
3. Slip away in canoes or kayaks on a half-day river adventure. Bring three of your friends for a fun outing, and paddle the St. Joe or Maumee River. You’ll see wildlife where you least expect it and enjoy the beauty of our rivers from a perspective few people ever get to see. Then stop at nearby Don Hall's Old Gas House Restaurant for a view of the river while you dine with this $40 gift certificate for any Hall’s restaurant. River adventure donated by Fort Wayne Outfitters and Bike Depot, gift certificate by Don Hall’s Restaurants
4. Invite your inner artist out for a little party. You and three friends will have a blast learning the techniques to create unique masterpieces at this three-hour private painting party at Art Works, the Galleria of Fine Art at Jefferson Pointe. Even if you’ve never painted before, you’ll be amazed at the fabulous results! And you’ll enjoy complimentary champagne to keep your creativity flowing and celebrate your success. Donated by Art Works, the Galleria of Fine Art
5. Keep your family fit and active all year. Take a Zumba class, swim laps in the pool, lift weights and more—there’s a fun way for everyone to exercise at the Fort Wayne YMCA. One-year family membership or renewal to any Fort Wayne YMCA. Donated by the Fort Wayne YMCA
6. Is this a cooking class or a party? How about both? Have fun with a group of friends while learning to prepare six scrumptious new appetizers at this two-hour organic cooking class in your own home for up to 12 people offered by Hamish Matousek, culinary expert at Williams-Sonoma Fort Wayne and owner of EverythinghamisH. All-organic ingredients supplied. And, take home this basket of organic goodies tonight for a preview of coming attractions. Donated by Hamish Matousek
7. A striking winter scene in limited-edition artwork. A red fox resting in snow, but alert to every sound graces this fine print (“Winter repose” #401 of 580) by South Dakota wildlife artist Rosemary Millette, known for the exceptional use of lighting in her paintings. The tastefully framed portrait is perfect for game room or cabin. Donated by Cliff and Susan Holleran
8. An exclusive getaway for two and a Mercedes-Benz to take you there! Choose either a 2015 GLK350 Sport Utility vehicle or a classic 1986 Mercedes-Benz 500sl Euro-spec convertible for your trip to the Oakwood Inn on Lake Wawasee, now restored to impressive elegance. During your two-night stay in this picturesque inn featuring panoramic lake views, use your $50 gift card to dine in Oakwood’s Pier & Back Porch restaurant. You’ll enjoy swimming, boating, or relaxing on the 27-acre grounds—or maybe just cruise around in your incredible vehicle to see the sights. Inn certificate and car can be used at different times. Room and dining donated by Oakwood Resort, car use by Mercedes-Benz of Fort Wayne
9. Party in a basket. Pull out this basket for your next casual get-together, and you’ll have almost everything you need for a simple yet elegant spread--a carefully curated selection of fine cheeses with their own cutting board, wine and more! Goodie basket and wine gift certificate donated by Fresh Market, hand-crafted cutting board by Neil Sowards
10. Frogs frolic on this adorable baby quilt for your favorite future nature lover. This future heirloom comes with its own keepsake bag for storage—plus a crib sheet, baby shirt, bib, and plush rattle featuring turtles or frogs. Donated by Janet Tellas
11. Art with a naturalist’s eye and a painter’s sensibility. This framed oil-on-hardboard plein air painting of Eagle Marsh in early spring by award-winning local artist and University of Saint Francis adjunct professor of art Tom Keesee will bring nature’s beauty into your home. Donated by Tom Keesee
12. Host a lavish barbecue with prime meats and artisan sauces. Your gourmet meal will feature delicious entrées selected with this $35 gift certificate from Jamison Specialty Meats and award-winning savory sauces from Best Boy & Co. Gift certificate donated by Jamison Specialty Meats, Best Boy sauces by Wayne and Ann Shive
13. Give yourself a fresh new look when you shop with this $100 gift certificate from Fort Wayne’s Jophiel, where fashionable clothing of classic good taste is matched with superb customer service. Then visit Merle Norman Luxe Spa and Salon for a $50 salon beauty treatment to complete your transformation (use by 6/25/15). Gift certificates donated by Jophiel and Merle Norman Luxe Spa and Salon
14. The tranquility of wetlands is reflected in this beautifully framed print of mallards (“Autumn Reed Mallard” # 869 of 1200) by nationally recognized wildlife artist Christopher Walden, whose realistic style of capturing nature has endeared him to collectors.
15. Nestle into a rustic lodge in Indiana’s deep woods. Visit Pokagon, one of Indiana’s great state parks only an hour’s drive from Fort Wayne, and enjoy a free overnight stay at the Potawatomi Inn. Hiking, tobogganing, swimming – a world of activities are just outside your door, depending on the season. Use by 7/31/15. Donated by Pokagon State Park
16. How does your garden grow? Here’s the secret all Master Gardeners know—compost is one of the very best soil amendments, and can do wonders with even the hardest Indiana clay. Your home-grown tomatoes will dazzle, your lilacs grow lush. Plants luxuriate in these two cubic yards of rich organic compost (a truckload full, delivery free to the Fort Wayne metro area). Donated by Lawn &Turf Landscaping
17. Authentic, wood-fired pizza—and more. Choose from an incredible menu of artisan pizzas, small plates, wood-grilled entrees and delicious salads prepared with seasonal ingredients at 800º Three Fires Restaurant on Illinois Road or 800º Wood Fired Pizza on Lima Road. Your $100 gift certificate offers a truly special dining experience, and save room for cappuccino chip gelato! Donated by 800 Degrees Wood Fired Pizza
18. Build a fitter, stronger body, starting with your core. Your month of any group classes at Mindful Movements Pilates Studio in Fort Wayne will start you thinking, breathing, and moving in a whole new way or help you continue your progress to greater fitness and control. After your muscles have been stretched in class, relax them with a one-hour Swedish massage at Woodhouse Spa. Donated by Mindful Movements Pilates Studio and Woodhouse Spa
19. Some cabernet with that landscape consultation? Yes, please! Stroll through your yard with landscape designer Laura Stine as you enjoy an hour-long consultation complete with wine and cheese (supplied by Laura). You may have a specific topic or area you would like to address, or be interested in questions such as how to use more environmentally-friendly gardening methods or integrate more native plants into your landscape. Donated by Laura Stine Gardens
20. Bring the subtle beauty of Eagle Marsh into your living room. The muted colors of spring at the entrance to Eagle Marsh will enhance your home with this framed oil-on-hardboard plein air painting by local award-winning artist and University of Saint Francis adjunct professor of art Tom Keesee. Donated by Tom Keesee
21. Exclusive tennis lessons for you and a few carefully chosen friends. Improve your tennis performance with this one-hour private clinic for 4-6 people with master teacher Will Cleveland of Wildwood Racquet Club. It’s your secret weapon for kicking your game up a notch! Donated by Wildwood Racquet Club
22. Enjoy a river adventure with informative guides. Take a kayak trip for two and learn about the plants and wildlife you’ll see along the way with expert area naturalists Sam Schwartz and Steve Ross. Includes lunch or dinner at a local restaurant. Choose any nearby river or stream for your outing. Donated by Sam Schwartz and Steve Ross
23. A selection of fine wines for any dinner or party. Enhance your fine dining, parties or picnics–or give someone a memorable gift—with this basket of twelve wines from Cap n’ Cork .You can’t go wrong with these great vintages. Donated by Cap n’ Cork
24. A night on the town, with dinner and a show. Use this six-ticket flex package good for six seats at any Civic Theatre production--or divide up among several shows--for the rest of the 2014-2015 season. On one of these evenings, your party can grab a bite or a sip with this $75 gift certificate from Chop’s Restaurant or Wine Bar (use by 8/13/15). Ticket package donated by Civic Theatre, gift certificate by Chop’s
25. A garden bright with flowers and butterflies. Monarchs, tiger swallowtails, and red admirals will adorn the flowers they love in your sunny 10’ by 10’ butterfly garden made up of 13 varieties of native plants (49 plants). Pick up the 3.75" plugs at Heartland Restoration’s native plant nursery next spring or fall and plant them soon after. Then sit back to welcome a colorful succession of butterfly visitors, many of which are in decline due to habitat loss. Donated by Heartland Restoration Services
26. Date night for a cultured couple. Enjoy dinner at Biaggi’s Ristorante Italiano with this $35 coupon and movies anytime with eight passes to Fort Wayne’s own Cinema Center, dedicated to bringing to the area the best of independent, foreign, documentary, and classic films often not shown elsewhere. Dinner donated by Biaggi’s, movie passes by Fort Wayne Cinema Center
27. Add some chic new pieces to your wardrobe after shopping at Symmetry, Fort Wayne’s unique upscale fashion boutique, with this $50 gift certificate. Complement your purchase with this elegant Shibori-dyed silk scarf from local artist Ronia Marie, whose creations can be seen in the Fort Wayne Museum of Art gift shop. Gift certificate donated by Symmetry, scarf by Ronia Marie
28. Watch the biggest basketball rivalry in the Big Ten play out. Both Purdue and Indiana have rebuilt their line-ups this year and are working to renew their legacies as two of the premier programs in the Big Ten conference. The teams should be closely matched, but will the young Hoosiers’ excellent shooting and strong outside game keep them on top? Or will Purdue (with two players from Fort Wayne) claim bragging rights? You’ll find out with these two great tickets to the IU-Purdue home game (date to be set later). Donated by Dan and Beth Zweig
29. Bring birds—and color—to your backyard. This lovely decorative birdbath shimmers with nature's colors of trees and sun. The glazed glass bowl is large enough to host any number of avian bathers--and its sturdy three-legged stand will resist tipping by the most determined squirrel. Can also be used indoors to complement your home décor. Donated by The Bird Seedery
30. Italian comfort food, anyone? The lasagna at O’Sullivan’s Italian Pub is said to be the best in town—enjoy it any Wednesday between 5:30 and 9:00 p.m.(no carry-out) with this gift card for a meal for four. And you can never go wrong with pizza! Treat yourself to pepperoni in October, veggie or Italian sausage in November with a different large Pizza Hut pizza every month for an entire year (carry-out only). Donated by O’Sullivan’s Italian Pub and Pizza Hut of Fort Wayne
31. A “go-everywhere” jacket with custom-tailored fit… This classic navy men’s blazer from Christopher James Menswear of Fort Wayne takes you from the office to casual outings in elegant style. Your finely made jacket will be sized and tailored just for you for a perfect fit. Donated by Christopher James Menswear
32. Two powerhouse basketball teams go head to head, and you’ve got primo seats. The IU Hoosiers face one of their fiercest rivals, the Michigan Wolverines, in one of the hottest Big Ten men’s basketball games of the season (date to be set later). You’ll have two excellent seats, so you’ll see whether Tom Crean’s Hoosiers play spoilers to the Wolverines’ Final Four ambitions this year. Donated by Dan and Beth Zweig