Join us for an evening of fun and fundraising--and honor Jay Jorgensen and Rick Phillips as Hidden Heroes of Conservation—at LRWP’s 5th annual Frogapalooza fundraiser on Friday, October 24 at the Fort Wayne Country Club. The event is presented by Brooks Construction.
Sip a glass of wine, chat with your friends, and plan your bidding on auction items from exclusive getaways to kayaking nature trips and theater packages (see auction list below). Then dine on a delicious dinner before learning how our two honorees have significantly helped the restoration and conservation of natural lands in Indiana. Carol Brooks will present Jay and Rick.
Tickets to Frogapalooza are $100 each, $800 for a table of eight, or $1,000 for a table of ten. Dress is business casual. Call 260-478-2515 for more information or to buy tickets by credit card (no American Express, please). Or mail your check to LRWP, 7209 Engle Road, Ste. 200, Fort Wayne IN 46804.
All funds raised help LRWP to care for its wetland nature preserves and offer its free nature programs to thousands of children and adults every year.
See you there!
# 1 Picture yourself in Big Sky, Montana where mountains and wilderness meet. Your week-long stay will take place in a beautiful five-bedroom, five-and-one-half-bath home (with office/den that can be used as a sixth bedroom) in the spectacular mountains of Big Sky, Montana. Near Bozeman and less than an hour from Yellowstone National Park, this is a perfect setting for skiing, mountain golf, whitewater rafting, spectacular hiking, world-class fly fishing, and more. You’ll have access to amenities of the private Spanish Peaks Mountain Club, including Big Sky Resort’s “Biggest Skiing in America” and an 18-hole Tom Weiskopf championship golf course. After each fabulous day outdoors, relax in the home’s sauna, steam shower, or spa hot tub. Donated by Larry and Carol Adelman
# 2 Your own classically trained chef? Magnifique! Noted local chef Christian Frappier will select food and wine for a special dinner planned with your tastes in mind. Then you’ll watch Christian work his magic right in your kitchen, treating you and seven guests to a multi-course extravaganza of fine cuisine. Dinner preparation donated by Christian Frappier, $400 for food and wine by Sturges Development Group
# 3 Visit a home where the buffalo roam. Enjoy a unique outdoor experience at the home of John and Carol Brooks, whose beautiful property near Roanoke flanks the Little River. Your party of eight will want to tour the native tall-grass prairie, old-growth woods and other protected areas where elk and buffalo roam. Then enjoy a lesson in skeet-shooting or fly-fishing (your choice) before savoring a casual dinner with John and Carol. Donated by John and Carol Brooks
# 4 Cosmopolitan, international Toronto beckons. This beautiful and exciting city will spread out before you in a luxurious two-bedroom, two-bath condo at the top of the SOHO Metropolitan Hotel in downtown Toronto. Take in the theaters, entertainment district and all downtown sights, then park in your own space and explore the hotel’s many amenities, including three world-class restaurants. Donated by Jerry and Diane Mackel
# 5 Who-o-o’s that? Party with owls, frogs, and other creatures of the night. Experience the sights and sounds of Eagle Marsh at night, starting with sunset over the marsh and a casual cookout around an open fire for up to 16 guests. Then enjoy folk tales or scary stories, an owl prowl with an expert naturalist who can tell you whose eyes are shining out of the darkness or a fun tutorial on which frog is serenading you now. This unique evening will take place underneath more stars than you’ve ever seen. Donated by Little River Wetlands Project
# 6 The ultimate weekend for those who live for fishing. Escape with two friends to a log cabin deep in the Michigan woods for exceptional salmon and trout fishing with Jay Jorgensen as your host and guide. Your two-night, three-day stay at this comfy cabin near Ludington includes meals, fishing equipment, and a choice of fishing options. Donated by Jay and Jane Jorgensen
1. When is a puzzle more than a puzzle? When it’s a Liberty jigsaw puzzle, like this puzzle of a frog—in the shape of a frog! Liberty puzzles are works of sculpture in wood--each features dozens of intricate, charming whimsy pieces laser-cut to the puzzle design, with no two pieces alike. For the true jigsaw puzzler, this is a collector’s item. Donated by Marc and Dana Kaminsky
2. Fossils at your fingertips! Get up close and personal with the teeth and bones of dinosaurs, mastodons, saber-toothed tigers, and more in this two-hour, hands-on visit for four with Dr. Larry Wiedman and his personal paleontology collection at the University of Saint Francis. Touch dinosaur dung, trilobites over 400 million years old, and lots of other fossils you’d usually only see in a museum--and hear how all these items were found. For adults and children aged seven or older. Donated by Larry Wiedman
3. Slip away in canoes or kayaks on a half-day river adventure. Bring three of your friends for a fun outing, and paddle the St. Joe or Maumee River. You’ll see wildlife where you least expect it and enjoy the beauty of our rivers from a perspective few people ever get to see. Then stop at nearby Don Hall's Old Gas House Restaurant for a view of the river while you dine with this $40 gift certificate for any Hall’s restaurant. River adventure donated by Fort Wayne Outfitters and Bike Depot, gift certificate by Don Hall’s Restaurants
4. Paint your own masterpiece, then celebrate with champagne! You and three friends will have a blast releasing your inner artists at this three-hour private painting party at Art Works, the Galleria of Fine Art at Jefferson Pointe. And you’ll enjoy complimentary champagne to free your imagination and celebrate your success. Donated by the Galleria of Fine Art
5. Take a Zumba class, swim laps in the pool, lift some weights and more—keep your family fit and active all year ‘round. One-year family membership or renewal to any Fort Wayne YMCA. Donated by the Fort Wayne YMCA
6. Is this a cooking class or a party? How about both? Have fun with a group of friends while learning to prepare six scrumptious new appetizers at this two-hour organic cooking class in your own home for up to 12 people offered by Hamish Matousek, culinary expert at Williams-Sonoma Fort Wayne and owner of EverythinghamisH. All-organic ingredients supplied. And, take home this basket of organic goodies tonight for a preview of coming attractions. Donated by Hamish Matousek
7. A red fox resting, but alert to every sound graces this fine print (“Winter repose” #401 of 580) by South Dakota wildlife artist Rosemary Millette. The tastefully framed portrait is perfect for game room or cabin. Donated by Cliff and Susan Holleran
8. An exclusive getaway for two and a Mercedes-Benz to take you there! Choose either a 2015 GLK350 Sport Utility vehicle or a classic 1986 Mercedes-Benz 500sl Euro-spec convertible for your trip to the Oakwood Inn on Lake Wawasee, now restored to impressive elegance. During your two-night stay in this picturesque inn featuring panoramic lake views, use your $50 gift card to dine in Oakwood Bar & Grill. You’ll enjoy swimming, boating, or relaxing on the 27-acre grounds—or maybe just cruise around in your incredible vehicle to see the sights. Inn certificate and car can be used at different times. Room and dining donated by Oakwood Resort, car use by Mercedes-Benz of Fort Wayne
9. Gourmet cheeses, wine and more—and their own cutting board! This is the perfect combination to make your casual get-together a success for two or twenty. Goodie basket and wine gift certificate donated by Fresh Market, hand-crafted cutting board by Neil Sowards
10. Frogs frolic on this adorable baby quilt for your favorite little nature lover. This future heirloom comes with its own keepsake bag for storage and a plush toy frog for baby to love. Donated by Janet Tellas
11. Bring the spring beauty of Eagle Marsh into your home with this lovely framed oil-on-hardboard plein air painting of our favorite preserve by noted local artist and University of Saint Francis adjunct professor of art Tom Keesee. Donated by Tom Keesee
12. Succulent meats and just the right sauces for cooking them! Your gourmet meal will feature delicious entrées selected with this $35 gift certificate from Jamison Specialty Meats and award-winning savory sauces from Best Boy & Co. Gift certificate donated by Jamison Specialty Meats, Best Boy sauces by Wayne and Ann Shive.
13. Stylish and sophisticated, that’s you when you shop with this gift certificate from Fort Wayne’s Jophiel, where fashionable clothing of classic good taste is matched with superb customer service. Once you find the outfit of your dreams, visit Merle Norman Luxe Spa and Salon for a beautifying treatment to complete your perfect look. Gift certificates donated by Jophiel and Merle Norman Luxe Spa and Salon
14. The tranquility of wetlands is reflected in this beautifully framed print of mallards (“Autumn Reed Mallard” # 869 of 1200) by nationally recognized wildlife artist Christopher Walden, whose realistic style of capturing nature has endeared him to collectors. Donated by Cliff and Susan Holleran
15. Visit Pokagon, one of Indiana’s great state parks only an hour’s drive from Fort Wayne, and enjoy a free overnight stay at the Potawatomi Inn. No restrictions except as available. Donated by Pokagon State Park
16. How does your garden grow? The answer is “healthy and happy” when your plants luxuriate in these two cubic yards of rich organic compost (a truckload full, delivery free to the Fort Wayne metro area). Donated by Lawn &Turf Landscaping of Fort Wayne
17. Authentic, wood-fired pizza—and more. Choose from an incredible menu of artisan pizzas, small plates, wood-grilled entrees and delicious salads prepared with seasonal ingredients at 800º Three Fires Restaurant on Illinois Road or 800º Wood Fired Pizza on Lima Road. Your $100 gift certificate offers a truly special dining experience, and save room for cappuccino chip gelato! Donated by 800 Degrees Wood Fired Pizza
18. Get fit and ready for anything with this basket from Fleet Feet Sports containing equipment you’ll need to get moving, a gift card for more, and a free class. Donated by Fleet Feet Sports
19. Some cabernet with that landscape consultation? Yes, please! Stroll through your yard with landscape designer Laura Stine as you enjoy an hour-long consultation complete with wine and cheese (supplied by Laura). You may have a specific topic or area you would like to address, or be interested in questions such as how to use more environmentally-friendly gardening methods or integrate more native plants into your landscape. Donated by Laura Stine Gardens
20. Spring’s awakening - The soft colors of spring at Eagle Marsh will delight you in this framed oil-on-hardboard plein air painting of the preserve as you enter it near the barn by local artist and University of Saint Francis adjunct professor of art Tom Keesee Donated by Tom Keesee
21. Game, set and…match! Improve your tennis performance with this one-hour clinic for 4-6 people with master teacher Will Cleveland of Wildwood Racquet Club. Donated by Wildwood Racquet Club
22. Enjoy nature face-to-face. Take a guided kayak trip for two and learn about the plants and wildlife you’ll see along the way with expert area naturalists Sam Schwartz and Steve Ross. Includes lunch or dinner at a local restaurant. Choose any nearby river or stream for your outing. Donated by Sam Schwartz and Steve Ross
23. Christian’s perfect wine selections will enhance your fine dining experience. Take home this basket of excellent wines hand-picked by Christian Frappier, former Wine Steward of the Fort Wayne Country Club, to savor at home. Donated by Cap n’ Cork
24. A night on the town, with dinner and a show. Use this six-ticket flex package good for six seats at any Civic Theatre production--or divide up among several shows--for the rest of the 2014-2015 season. Will be paired with a restaurant gift certificate. Ticket package donated by Civic Theatre